This is intended to be a general overview of the very important or big features/improvements we are working on, or planning. For a list of smaller features see fun tasks for newcomers.
What keeps us busy in general?
- Fixing bugs. Improving reliability and ease of use is never “done”. We have tons of work. Help is very welcome!
- Improving GStreamer. This benefits not only Pitivi, but other multimedia applications as well.
- Working on features: Until we reach 1.0, only if they improve stability.
Any time estimates here are mostly wild guesses. Do not treat them as hard deadlines. This aims mostly at giving an idea of how milestones follow each other.
- 2018 Q4: release 1.0 with ponies and rainbows
See Current events for past items.
- Status: done, but we still need a developer console, and documentation with examples.
- This is very important. A plugin would have access to the entire app. Being in Python, it will be extremely easy to quickly write useful plugins without having to compile anything. Pitivi plugins will allow manipulating the timeline clips and clip effects automatically, thus allowing great flexibility for custom solutions. See for example audio normalization or the autoaligner ressurection.
Motion ramping, time stretching
- Status: started
- See issue 632
- Status: some effects like alphaspot and color corrector already have a custom UI. The overall experience can be smoother.
- Still to do: green screen compositing, audio equalizer
Advanced layer management
- See issue 930
A better title editor
- The current title editor UI is very simple. Please join us to make it work up to your expectations! See the existing title editor issues.
- Digital asset management is the ability to manage huge amounts of media (video clips, sounds, images, etc.). This feature is very much needed for professional editing; it allows handling multiple simultaneous camera angles, multiple takes of the same scene, multiple sound sources, etc.
- Potentially being addressed by the Novacut team with dmedia
Hardware-accelerated decoding and encoding
- Since GStreamer 1.2, the basic infrastructure allowing us to cleanly take advantage of the video decoding capabilities of modern graphic cards is there. We need to ensure that our planned usecases are properly supported with the most common graphic drivers (through VA-API) and to make the integration work in Pitivi.
The results of the search are