0.95 Release “Enfant suisse”
As of Nov 19, 2015, the Pitivi team is proud to announce the fifth beta release of Pitivi toward the 1.0 version. This is mostly an incremental bugfixing release, so make sure to see the 0.91, 0.92, 0.93 and 0.94 release notes to get the full picture.
This is considered a beta release since the “big picture” remains “making Pitivi stable” (that's why the next release will bring proxy editing). Note that while we use the word “beta” here, this is the latest “stable” release, and is the one we recommend over all previous ones.
Pitivi works well for us and we make nice movies with it. Try it out, have fun and report detailed bugs for issues you may encounter!
Blog post associated with this release: http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2015/11/19/pitivi-0-95-enfant-suisse/
Changes and completed tasks
82 tasks have been closed, See the list of reported tasks that have been resolved in 0.95.
Since the 0.94 release, 392 commits were made in Pitivi, fixing many bugs and implementing the following features:
The timeline has been rewritten
The timeline has been rewritten using plain GTK+. This means that we do not depend on the Clutter library anymore; it was causing many problems for our use cases.
The clip transformation box has been reimplemented
The transformation tool was previously dropped when Pitivi was ported to the GStreamer Editing Services. It has now been reimplemented. While its current state means that it lost a few features compared to its previous incarnation, it should be more robust and much simpler to maintain.
New video sink
The glimagesink (video rendering widget) was replaced by the new gtk(gl)sink, which integrates more cleanly inside the application and avoids various bugs we used to encounter while embedding the old sink into Gtk.
Direct importing to the timeline
It is now possible to import external files directly into the timeline. Just drag & drop from your favorite file manager to create a clip on the timeline.
Integration with GstValidate
With this new release, we serialize all the operations done by the user as GstValidateScenarios (more details here), allowing us to reproduce bugs much more easily. See the bug reporting page for details on how to create scenario files for testing.
Fits small screens again
We heard 1024x768 is still a thing, so we added some tricks to adapt the UI when running on small screens.
- We dropped our dependency on Clutter
- We now depend on GStreamer 1.6
- We now depend on the new gtksink (from gst-plugins-bad 1.6)
Generally speaking, you can refer to the bottom of Pitivi's check.py for the dependencies' versions specific to a given release. See also dependencies for additional tips.
- Some users might experience a playback performance regression with the new timeline. See ticket T3348 for details, to subscribe yourself or provide feedback for the investigation.
- The title editor UI is still quite primitive. Please join us to make it work up to your expectations! See the existing [https://phabricator.freedesktop.org/maniphest/?statuses=open()&projects=PHID-PROJ-ext-TITLEEDITOR#R title editor bugs].
- Translations are not all fully up to date.
- The automatic clip aligner feature does not work. We need someone to port it to use our new audio waveforms processing module.
- No dialog to install missing codecs after discovering clips, and no error gets raised in that case. This means that the clip will “appear” to have imported correctly, but if you try inserting it into the timeline you may get errors in the background or Pitivi's UI may hang.
See the list of currently known issues
Contributors for this release
213 Thibault Saunier
100 Alexandru Băluț
18 Mathieu Duponchelle
17 Jean-François Fortin Tam
14 Piotr Drąg (translations)
7 Dušan Kazik (translations)
7 Marek Černocký (translations)
4 Daniel Mustieles (translations)
4 Josef Andersson (translations)
2 Balázs Úr (translations)
2 Gábor Kelemen (translations)
2 Inaki Larranaga Murgoitio (translations)
2 Lubosz Sarnecki
1 Aurimas Černius (translations)
1 Cheng-Chia Tseng (translations)
1 Christian Kirbach (translations)
1 Jiri Grönroos (translations)
1 Jordi Mas (translations)
1 Luke Faraone
1 Rafael Fontenelle (translations)
1 Samir Ribic (translations)
1 Tiago S (translations)
1 Wim Taymans
1 Мирослав Николић (translations)
In GES (from 1.4.0 to 1.6.1):
244 Thibault Saunier
108 Mathieu Duponchelle
28 Tim-Philipp Müller
13 Justin Kim
8 Luis de Bethencourt
7 Sebastian Dröge
7 Stefan Sauer
4 Edward Hervey
2 Joris Valette
1 Jan Schmidt
1 Nicolas Dufresne
The results of the search are